Angels of the Amazon
Supporting Health, Culture
and Education in the
Amazon for over 10 years
Our MissionFounded in 2007 as an IRS recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, the mission of the Angels of the Amazon (AoA) foundation is to provide aid to the 8,000 indigenous people living in the 12 communities in the Tahuayo River basin. The Tahuayo River is a modest tributary of the upper Amazon River, about 100 miles SSW of Iquitos, Peru. This is a very remote part of the world. Iquitos City is the world’s largest city which is not connected to any other city by road, being surrounded by impenetrable Amazon jungle Learn More About Our Mission
In 2007, the Angels of the Amazon began partnering with the medical clinic in Esperanza Village. This medical clinic is the only entity supporting the medical needs of the people of the Tahuayo River basin. With assistance from AoA, the Esperanza Clinic has improved to the point where it is now considered to be the best rural clinic within Peru’s Amazon region. Although the clinic was built to service the health care and needs of the people of the Tahuayo River basin, patients in medical need often travel from surrounding communities seeking out quality medical and dental treatment and care that is offered by the clinic.
The Angels of the Amazon has provided educational support for the villages of the Tahuayo River, concentrating on the four villages of the upper Tahuayo River, where the need is especially acute. In addition to the support received by the government, AoA provides the local elementary grade schools with tutors, books, school supplies, tables, chairs, regular nutritional breakfasts, and most recently a playground in Chino Village.
Angels of the Amazon has provided the local communities of the Tahuayo River with several sustainable economic initiatives. Organized by Dolly Beaver, this cooperative supports the local women of the villages in creating traditional arts and crafts while still using renewable resources such as palm fibers in their work. Since the baskets are woven by the local women, their economic empowerment has helped them find a voice in their communities thus uplifting their self-esteem and self-worth in their villages and in their homes.
The Angels of the Amazon is proud to say that nearly 100% of all our donations go directly to funding programs to support the people of the Tahuayo River basin. No donations are used for administrative salaries, administrative overhead, office overhead, or advertising costs. We are fortunate that those expenses are 100% paid for by the ecotourism company Amazonia Expeditions.
Check-A-Charity is a great tool provided by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to search for public records on Charity organizations. Using this tool you can search for “Angels of the Amazon” and click “expand all” to view copies of our yearly donations, spending reports, and other information. You will find that approximately 98% of all our donations go directly to funding our charitable programs. The other 2% goes to newsletter printing and mailing twice a year (1%) and accounting audit and state licenses and fees (1%).
Please let us know if you have additional questions and we’ll be happy to go over and explain the documents with you.